Friday, July 01, 2011

Happy Canada Day!


We waved our flag today, just like every year.


















I can't believe it's July 1st already. Homemade pizza and strawberry shortcake were part of our celebrations.


These past few weeks have been interesting as well as quite exhausting.

- We celebrated our 21st anniversary in the middle of June

- On the same day Boy15 forgot how tall he was and smacked his head on a door frame in a fit of youthful exuberance. Lots of blood and three stitches. Thank you.

- Three days later he left for Outward Bound in Schwangau with the rest of the 9th grade with instructions to get the stitches out 7 days later.

- The weekend before his brother left, Boy18 and a few of his friends got beaten up by some drunken punks at our local Stadtfest. They were all fine, just a bit bruised. The police are on the case.

- Boy18 graduated from high school the following Friday. The world is now his oyster but he's still looking for a sharp knife to pry it open with.

- We are re-doing his room completely and there are tools, building materials and dust bunnies spread all over the house. Vacuuming is an exercise is futility Boy15's room is next. Help.

- Both of our printers gave up the ghost in the same week.

- Vancouver's crazy, crazy house prices and insane buyers turned my parents into homeless millionaires for a couple of weeks when they sold their big house for even more than they were asking. Go figure. Last week they bought a smaller house and were able to put away a bit of spare change for a rainy day.

- Boy15 returned from Outward Bound in one piece. He loved it. We'll look at the 600 pictures he took tomorrow.

- I caught one of my baby toes on a chair leg today and it (the toe, not the chair)has turned interesting colours.

- My head hurts


I think I need a rest and I know just the place.


We finally (finally!) did something about this overgrown swing thingie that no one ever used.

Before


















After



















My clever, clever husband made those Adirondack/Muskoka chairs with his own two hands (plans from Lee Valley). They turned out beautifully and are so, so comfortable.

Just right for a loooong nap. Wake me up on Monday, OK?

Oh, and Happy Canada Day to all my Canuck pals out there!


Labels:

19 Comments:

At July 02, 2011 5:17 AM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Happy (now belated for you) Canada Day Mausi! Sounds like you've had a full month, with mishaps from head to toe. (Sorry, I know that was a groaner, but I couldn't help myself.) Hope July is a little less accident prone. Love those cute chairs!

 
At July 02, 2011 12:18 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Love the chairs!

 
At July 02, 2011 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see the patriotism! Happy (belated) Canada Day!

Cheers from Indy
Lisa

P.S. My life is so much more boring than yours, wink.

 
At July 02, 2011 8:38 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Happy Canada Day a day late!

 
At July 04, 2011 6:17 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

On our American Independence Day, happy belated Canada Day to you, dear Christina.

I read every single line item here with great interest. Crazy prices indeed for your parents in Vancouver. WOW. Your boys are just way to big/old from the last time I saw them. How does that happen? And YOU...how can anything else go wrong! Woman. Please take care of yourself!

 
At July 08, 2011 12:38 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

First off, ouch!!! Secondly, wow I'm happy to have known the house your parents sold! You'll have to send me an email and let me know where they moved to!

And lastly, oh those chairs, how amazing...

One last thing, we finally have loads of flowers and plants out our door and I think of your garden every time.. We are finally lucky. :)

 
At October 16, 2011 9:31 PM, Blogger Chris said...

What do your German friends think of the Muskoka chairs?

 
At December 13, 2011 2:24 PM, Anonymous Lisa said...

You update as often as I do, Ms. Maus. "I am still not dead. See you next year!" :) Nice to hear from you again.

 
At January 01, 2012 10:02 PM, Blogger essie said...

Happy New Year Mausi!!!
Wishing you a graceful and happy slide into 2012
:o)

Essie

 
At January 05, 2012 6:32 PM, OpenID sarsm said...

Ouch!! Glad to read your son is OK.
Felt slightly woozy reading about your toe - probably because I'm so clumsy, I could just imagine it!

Happy New Year and Happy Canada Day!!

 
At January 10, 2012 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mausi!

I am missing your entries. I hope everything is okay with you and your family.

Happy New Year and take care!

Bettina from Berlin 42
(my mother used to call me Mausi in the 60s and 70s – all right even in the 80s and 90s….

 
At March 03, 2012 3:08 AM, Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Beautiful! When we get to the NE, perhaps these would be a good,fast,relatively simple project for DH. They don't LOOK comfortable... but if you insist.

 
At May 25, 2012 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday 5/25/12 Christina!

Cheers,
Lisa in Indy

 
At June 30, 2012 1:21 PM, Blogger Shammickite said...

Almost time for Canada Day 2012.

 
At May 25, 2013 10:27 PM, Blogger J said...

Happy Birthday, Christina!

 
At May 25, 2013 10:28 PM, Blogger J said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At August 16, 2013 8:39 PM, Blogger Berlin, Canada und überhaupt... said...

I used to read your blog during my lunch hour, but nothing since 2011. What a pitty, hope everything is allright.

Take care and best regards...

 
At August 08, 2014 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also stop in and check for any updates. Your blog was one of my favorites. What are the boys and you up to?

 
At October 13, 2014 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss your blog - I hope everything is ok!!! Happy Thanksgiving :-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.